365 days a year, hundreds of volunteers from East Cheshire communities donate their time and talent to the organisation. Working as part of a single integrated workforce with our staff, volunteers help to deliver the highest quality of care, privacy and dignity to patients, carers and their families.
Putting something back into the community is a common reason for people volunteering with us, but volunteering offers more besides: You can learn new skills, gain hands-on experience, meet new people and add to your CV. Volunteers at East Cheshire Hospice fulfil a wide variety of roles; some are specifically skill-based and some use peoples’ experiences of life. Many roles are undertaken on a regular basis to ensure the continuity of care provision and we also have project-based roles that last for a set period of time.
Patient facing roles
- Assisting inpatients and staff with day-to-day activities on the ward; serving meals and refreshments, helping with bed-making and laundry.
- Creating and refreshing all flower arrangements and donations of flowers for our inpatient unit, day facility and reception areas.
- Helping to run programmes of information, drop-in and activity sessions in the Sunflower Centre by welcoming patients, assisting staff and serving refreshments.
- Providing professional bereavement counselling as part of our Family Support team.
- Providing professional complementary therapies to patients, carers and family members.
- Running our reception desk and main switchboard, greeting and directing visitors.
- Transporting patients to and from the Sunflower Centre day facility at the Hospice for regular sessions and individual appointments.
Non-patient facing roles
- Hospice shop - serving customers and assisting with donations and stock taking.
- Gardening - providing skilled gardening resources to help maintain the Hospice’s grounds.
- Support - in our administration, finance, HR, IT and volunteer co-ordination teams.
- Fundraising - support our fundraising team at our events such as the Starlight Walk.
- Lottery - Volunteer door to door lottery collectors
Here are the volunteer jobs that are currently available. Click below to view the job descriptions
Please take a look at our Volunteer FAQs page and if you would like to put your name forward for a current or future vacancy, please download the application form. Thank you for your interest and support.